Welcome to the subject page for Food. This guide highlights the key resources for your subject area, and the key services and facilities available from the Library.
All required reading for your modules should be available from your online reading lists. In addition to prescribed reading, when doing your own research ‘beyond the reading list’, LibrarySearch is a quick and easy way to simultaneously search for academic content across a number of different sources. If you get stuck, please don’t hesitate to contact your Academic Librarian.
The key resources for your subject area are:
- American Chemical Society
Articles in the chemical and related sciences, including the following journals: Biochemistry; Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry.
- Business Source Premier
Full-text articles from business journals and trade publications. Also includes company profiles for the top 5,000 companies and the option to search for company-related articles
- MarketLine Advantage A dynamic platform featuring: Coverage of 33,000+ companies, 5,000+ industry Profiles and 110 Country Profiles, all updated annually. Select Industry Profiles to see global or country specific market research reports.
- Sage Journals Online
Full-text journals, including Journal of Consumer Culture, Food and Nutrition Bulletin,
- Science Direct
Full-text articles from more than 2,000 journals, covering all subjects
- Springer Link
Full-text articles from more than 400 Springer journals, covering a wide range of subjects including Journal of Food Science and Technology, Food Security and Food Analytical Methods.
- Statista A comprehensive statistics platform with access to over 1.5 million data sets and revenue forecasts from 2015 to 2020 on over 400 industries. Includes access to the Global Consumer Survey database. For more information and a search tutorial, check this guide.
For legislation, case law (including EU legislation and case law) and legal journals.
- Wiley Online Library
Access to nearly 1,500 peer-review journals including Journal of Food Science and Nutrition Reviews.
Key websites for your subject area include:
- Behind the Headlines The NHS Knowledge Service gives you the science behind the news stories.
- British Dietetic Association Provides information on state registered dietitians and where they can be located along with details on the association's committees. A range of BDA publications can be viewed freely online.
- British Nutrition Foundation Charitable organisation that promotes the nutritional wellbeing of society by disseminating scientifically based nutritional knowledge and advice.
- Codex Alimentarius Commission Joint WHO/FAO food standards programme for producing and implementing international food standards and regulations.
- Consumers International Official site for the Worldwide Federation of Consumer Organisations, dedicated to the protection and promotion of consumer interest.
- Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs Government department that oversees the regulation of food industries in the UK.
- European Food Information Council Independent non-profit organisation disseminating food information to consumers and health professionals.
- The Federation of European Specialty Food Ingredients Industries Provides information to the public and policy makers about the many health and functional benefits relating to specialty food ingredients.
- Food Additives and Flavourings Published on the European Union website, this resource provides information on food additives and flavourings and links to relevant European Directives. A full-text report 'Dietary Food Additive Intake in the European Union' is available, and was first published in October 2001.
- Food Additives and Ingredients Association Homepage of the FAIA, which is affiliated to the Chemical Industries Association, and represents companies whose main business is manufacturing and marketing food additives and ingredients. Information is provided on a range of topics, including amino acids, antioxidants, E numbers, additives and preservatives.
- Food and Agriculture Organization Part of the United Nations, the FAO works to alleviate hunger and poverty by promoting agricultural development and improving nutrition. A wide range of full-text articles and reports can be viewed freely online.
- Food and Drink Federation The voice of the UK food and drink manufacturing industry. Information is provided on the FDF, its aims and activities. Details of FDF publications are provided, and free access to articles from Feedback online magazine is available.
- Food and drink in schools (Scotland) Nutrition requirements review and report 2018.
- Food and Meat Topics article library Searchable collection of key articles from Food Hygiene and Meat Topics magazine
- Food and Nutrition Information Center FNIC is part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and works to collect and disseminate information about food and human nutrition. Topics covered include dietary supplements, food composition, dietary guidelines and food safety.
- Food and Nutrition Library Developed in January 2000, this site provides access to a searchable database of more than 250 full-text publications on food and nutrition.
- FoodNavigator Global food ingredients portal based in Europe. The site offers a wide range of services in the fields of food news and analysis, food Internet resources, market trends, food technology papers, ingredients and industry databases. The site covers a large range of health ingredients and additives including plant and herbal extracts, amino acids, minerals, dietetic and organic foods.
- Food Safety: From the Farm to the Fork European Union Website that focuses on food safety issues. The site covers a range of topics including; safety of food products, animal feed safety, food labelling, and international food safety issues.
- FoodScienceCentral Website of the International Food Information Service (IFIS). IFIS provides high quality food science information to the food science and nutrition community.
- Food Standards Agency UK government body that works to "protect public health from risks which may arise in connection with the consumption of food, and otherwise to protect the interests of consumers in relation to food".
- Fruit and Vegetable Colour Nutrients A handy site showing the key nutrients and benefits from the various colour groups of fruit and vegetables.
- Gourmet Connection Electronic magazine with nutrition and health information together with recipes.
- Institute of Food Research UK centre for research on food safety, quality, nutrition and health.
- Institute of Food Science and Technology Contains information on the application of science and technology to all aspects of the supply of safe, wholesome, nutritious food.
- Institute of Food Technologists Nonprofit scientific society that aims to advance the science and technology of food through the exchange of knowledge. Provides a range of information on food and technology issues.
- International Food Information Council Foundation Works to disseminate science-based information on food safety and nutrition to health and nutrition professionals and the wider public.
- International Food Policy Research Institute CGIAR research centre that works to identify and analyse policies for sustainably meeting the growing food requirements of developing countries. The site provides free online access to a range of full-text publications.
- International Union of Food Science and Technology Non-profit association of national food science organisations.
- International Union of Nutritional Sciences Provides news updates and information on nutrition, food education and food labels for countries worldwide.
- Legislation.gov.uk UK legislation since 1267. Video on how to use this site.
- The Nutrition Society Formed in 1941 to "advance the scientific study of nutrition and its application to the maintenance of human and animal health".
- Smithers Pira Commercial consultancy and knowledge provider for the packaging industry.
- School Food Standards Department for Children, Schools and Families (England and Wales) site. This site contains guidance for caterers to the new compulsory nutritional standards for school lunches which came into effect on 1 April 2001. Includes the complete School Caterers guideline document.
- Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition Advisory Committee of independent experts that provides advice to the Food Standards Agency and Department of Health as well as other Government Agencies and Departments.
- Scottish Public Health Observatory (ScotPHO) Public health information for Scotland, bringing together key national organisations, led by ISD Scotland and NHS Health Scotland.
- Society of Food Hygiene and Technology The Society promotes the production, distribution and sale of safe and wholesome food.
- US Food and Drug Administration Information on a wide range of food and drug related subjects.
- Vegetarian Society
Your Librarian is Jean McGuinness. Jean can help you find the resources you need for your research, and advise you on how best to reference them.
Tel: 01382 308823
Follow the Library on Twitter @AbertayLibrary