Welcome to the Environment subject page. This guide highlights the key resources for your subject area, and the key services and facilities available from the Library.
All required reading for your modules should be available from your online reading lists. In addition to prescribed reading, when doing your own research ‘beyond the reading list’, LibrarySearch is a quick and easy way to simultaneously search for academic content across a number of different sources. If you get stuck, please don’t hesitate to contact your Academic Librarian.
The key resources for your subject area are:
- American Chemical Society
Articles in the chemical and related sciences, including the following journals: Energy & Fuels; Environmental Science & Technology. Select Institutional login and University of Abertay Dundee before logging in with your network username and password.
- Construction Information Service
Produced by IHS Technical Indexes, this online database provides access to up-to-date technical documents for engineering and construction professionals. Includes many British Standards and Eurocodes. This resource is limited to one user at a time, so please log out when you have finished, and if you don't get in first time, try again later. Not searchable via LibrarySearch.
- GSE Research
Open access articles relating to sustainability.
The leading weekly international scientific journal.
- Science Direct
Full-text articles from more than 2,000 journals, covering all subjects
- Science Direct Topic Pages These provide concept definitions and subject overviews for researchers who want to expand their knowledge about scholarly and technical terms. Each synopsis provides a series of short, authoritative, excerpts from highly relevant book chapters written by subject matter experts in the field.
Full-text articles from more than 2,500 journals including Water Resources Management and Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology.
- Statista A comprehensive statistics platform with access to over 1.5 million data sets from 2015 to 2020 on over 400 industries. For more information and a search tutorial, check this guide..
- Taylor & Francis Online
Access to over 1100 journals including International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management.
- Wiley Online Library
Access to nearly 1,500 peer-review journals including Environmental Quality Management and Environmental Policy and Governance.
Key websites for your subject area include:
- British Antarctic Survey
- British Geological Survey Independent research organisation providing objective, expert geoscientific data, information and knowledge.
- Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
- The Chartered Institution of Waste Management
- Convention on Biodiversity
- Environment Agency. Government body responsible for improving the environment in England and Wales.
- Environment Directory. Environmental search engine providing access to a wide range of useful websites.
- Environmental Change Network. This site provides access to a range of environmental data, including the ECN summary database, which incorporates monthly and yearly statistics derived from raw data.
- Environmental Expert. Online environmental industry marketplace and information resource.
- European Environment Agency. Provides access to reports, indicators, data and statistics on a range of environmental themes. Topics covered include; air quality, chemicals, noise, waste, ozone depletion and climate change.
- FAO Soils Portal Information and knowledge on the different components and aspects of soils, and the value and importance for policy makers, development planners and soil science experts
- Forestry Commission
- Friends of the Earth (Scotland)
- Global Change Master Directory. Published by NASA, this site provides an online directory of reports and datasets on global change and the earth sciences.
- Imaggeo Geosciences image and video repository from the European Geosciences Union
- Natural Environment Research Council
- Scotland's Environment Gateway to all Scottish environmental information and data
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA). Provides online access to a range of publications, including environmental reports, technical papers, and information leaflets. Information is also provided on environmental data, and environmental guidance and regulations.
- Scottish Environmental Statistics Online. Published by the Scottish Government, this site provides access to Scottish environmental data. Changes over time are focused on wherever possible.
- Soil Association
- Sustainable Development: a review of international literature. Scottish Executive publication which reviews literature and policy on a range of development issues.
- UK Air Quality Archive. This site provides detailed information on concentrations of pollutants at all automatic monitoring sites in Scotland, as well as emissions for the UK, including maps showing emissions and concentrations for 1km squares. Data is also available on greenhouse gas emissions and on air quality monitoring networks.
- UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre. Provides information for policy and action to conserve the living world. The Centre's programmes focus on species, forests, protected areas, marine and freshwater, and habitats affected by climate change.
- Water Quality in the European Union. Published by the EU Environment Directorate-General, this site provides access to legislation that focuses on water quality in Europe. Documents available include the nitrates directive, drinking water directive, and urban waste water treatment directive.
- Water UK. Represents the interests of the UK water industry.
- World Water Council. The Council works to facilitate the efficient conservation, protection, development, planning, management and use of water resources.
Your Librarian is Jean McGuinness. Jean can help you find the resources you need for your research, and advise you on how best to reference them.
Tel: 01382 308823
Follow the Library on Twitter @AbertayLibrary