Welcome to the Engineering subject page. This guide highlights the key resources for your subject area, and the key services and facilities available from the Library.
All required reading for your modules should be available from your online reading lists. In addition to prescribed reading, when doing your own research ‘beyond the reading list’, LibrarySearch is a quick and easy way to simultaneously search for academic content across a number of different sources. If you get stuck, please don’t hesitate to contact your Academic Librarian.
The key resources for your subject area are:
- Construction Information Service
Produced by IHS Technical Indexes, this online database provides access to up-to-date technical documents including Eurocodes. Limited to one user at a time, if you don't get in first time, try again later. Not searchable via LibrarySearch.
- ICE Virtual Library Journals
Search various Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers journals online.
Full-text articles from more than 2,500 journals including Materials and Structures and International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials.
- Statista A comprehensive statistics platform with access to over 1.5 million data sets from 2015 to 2020 on over 400 industries. For more information and a search tutorial, check this guide.
- Wiley Online Library
Access to nearly 1,500 peer-review journals including Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering and Structural Concrete.
Key websites for your subject area include:
- ASCE Civil Engineering Database Provides access to bibliographic and abstracted articles published by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Concrete Centre Central development organisation for the UK cement and concrete industry, aiming to assist all those involved in design and construction to realise the full potential of concrete.
- Construction Industry Research and Information Association Best practice guidance for construction,building design and materials.
- Design Manual for Roads and Bridges Provides full-text access to the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB), published by the UK Highways Agency.
- Institution of Civil Engineers Independent UK-based engineering institution which represents qualified engineers worldwide.
- Institution of Structural Engineers. The world's largest membership organisation dedicated to structural engineeri
- National BIM Library Extensive collection of generic and manufacturer BIM objects ranging from building fabric systems to mechanical and electrical objects.
- New Civil Engineer Plus Free full-text access to several years of journal articles from New Civil Engineer, New Civil Engineer International, Civil Engineering International and other titles.
- Resource for Urban Design Information (RUDI) Multimedia resource for teaching, research and professional activity in urban design and related disciplines.
- Structurae Online database containing pictures and information about structural and civil engineering works. Registration required.
- TechXtra UK-based search engine for quality engineering, computing and mathematics websites.
Your Librarian is Sinéad McGhee. Sinéad can help you find the resources you need for your research, and advise you on how best to reference them.
Tel: 01382 308867
Follow the Library on Twitter @AbertayLibrary