This guidance is designed to help academic staff understand the copyright issues related to teaching.  Ownership of copyright in materials created by individual members of staff is covered by the Intellectual Property Policy. The use of 3rd party copyright material for private study and non-commercial research can be found on our Copyright guidance for students and researchers

Copyright law aims to strike a balance between the rights of the copyright owner to control how their work is used and the rights of re-use, such as 'Fair Dealing'. It does this by providing some useful exceptions that allows copyright material to be copied - subject to certain limits. There are also a number of licences that the university holds that  allow 3rd party copyright material to be used without infringing copyright. One of the most important licences used in the provision of teaching materials is the CLA HE Licence . This allows the library to provide scanned extracts from books and journals that can be added to module reading lists.

Request CLA scans for your Module reading lists
Copyright responsibilities and takedown policy

FAQs - CLA HE Licence and CLA Scanning Service

Can book chapters or journal articles be scanned and made available from the Leganto reading lists?
Can anyone scan book chapters or journal articles and add these to Leganto?
Can I upload PDFS of journal articles and books chapters that the university holds electronically to Leganto?
What can be scanned using our CLA HE licence?
How long does it take to get a scan and have this added to a Leganto reading List?
Can I use a scanned chapter or article in more than one Leganto reading list?
What is text book substitution?
FAQs - General copyright queries
What is copyright?
What copyright licences does the university hold?
Why does the university need to pay for copyright Licences?
Can I copy copyrighted material for setting an exam question?
What is fair dealing?
The law seems to use both fair use and fair dealings – are they the same thing?
Does fair dealing cover videos and animations as well as images?
Where can I find images and videos to use in teaching?
How do I know what I am allowed to do with 3rd Party copyright material?
Can I show show a film or play music to my students?

FAQs- Lecture recordings and copyright

How do I avoid infringing 3rd party copyright in recorded lectures?
Where can I find images and videos that I can use outwith the normal copyright restrictions?
What is the best way to credit 3rd party copyright material?
Back to top