Students studying Psychology should use the American Psychology Association (APA) referencing style.
Guides to APA
- APA have their own online tutorial and guides.
- The 7th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is available in the Library at shelfmark 808.066 PUB.
- Years 1-3, students should use the 7th edition
- Year 4, students can choose whether to continue using the 6th ed, or use the 7th ed.
- place of publication is no longer required for books
- citation rules have changed with regards to when to use et al.
- all authors, up to 21, are named in the reference list entry
- DOIs are formatted as URLs
- 'Retrieved from:' is no longer required for website references.
The following examples are formatted according to the 7th edition. See the APA 6th edition page for examples.