OneDrive for Business
Cloud storage provided by Microsoft for storing documents and other materials
- 1 Terabyte of cloud storage
- Includes Word, Excel, OneNote and PowerPoint web apps
- You can edit Microsoft Office documents in your web browser, from any device
- Share documents for collaboration with others
OneDrive for Business is ideal for non-confidential documents such as coursework, photos and personal documents. It shouldn't be used for work related documentation which would be deemed private or confidential under the Abertay Data Storage Policy (see guidance below)
Note: Staff who need access to Abertay portable storage media (encrypted USB pen drives) should contact the Service Desk to request one. Personal USB pen drives should not be used to store private or confidential material.
A quick overview of the data storage methos and their intended use...
Additional guidance for research data
- OneDrive for Business is not intended for long-term, secure and recoverable storage of Data generated during the course of funded research.
- As per the University’s Research Data Management Policy "any data collected as part of research should be stored in designated University network file spaces, to ensure that it is suitably protected against unauthorised access and is routinely backed up."
- The University provides a secure data storage service - the ‘R: Drive’ – specifically for research data, and further information on this service is available here
- In addition, OneDrive for Business should only be used to store data that can appropriately be viewed by anyone i.e. it should not be used to store private or confidential documents. Further information can be found in the Abertay Data Storage Policy
One Drive for Business 2016 Guides
- What is One Drive for Business
- Get to know One Drive for Business (Video)
- How do I manage my documents in OneDrive For Business?
- How do I open and save documents directly out of and into OneDrive For Business?
- Store, sync, and share your work files (OneDrive for Business)
- One Drive for Business training course